In the words of Rob Thomas, this summer - "its a hot one". We love many things about our new (old) home, but the insulation and lack of A/C are not two of them. This Summer has been particularly hot for Colorado Springs (or so they're saying), and Noa and I are doing our best to get outside, stay in the shade, and get wet as often as possible! These goals make for good ways to remain distracted from the quiet house as we adjust to Josh being away during the days. Noa likes to ask me, throughout the day, "Daddy? Whe-is-he?" When I repeat the question back to her, she enthusiastically answers "Wook!" (work). So cute.
Speaking of our Cutie - as she grows older we see her funny "quirks" turn into "traits" and I find myself settling into more of a rhythm with her. I don't' know if this will sound familiar to any other Mommas out there... When difficult moments take over and I am unsure how to handle the discipline or re-directing of my daughter's behavior (or my own, for that matter), one of my quandaries is that of discernment. Is this simply her personality, and hence, an issue for which I need to adapt a long-term plan? Or is this just a "phase" and requires momentary patience and foresight, for soon it will be over. For example: my child likes people, and dislikes quiet. She sleeps better with noise (and still makes lots of it throughout the night), eats better with conversation, and plays better with someone right beside her (preferable a talkative girlfriend). Another example: Noa is decisive. She has strong opinions and usually sticks to her guns quite passionately. She wanted to nurse as a baby (6-8 times a day the entirety of her first year), and she did... for a year and a half. She wanted to wean as a young toddler and she did, in a week. She wanted to use her potty as a two-year-old and she does. In about a month she went from all diapers all the time, to no diaper at all in the daytime (we tried the 3-day plan and I call it a farce - we can talk more about it if you like, "off-blog"). She wants to let Momma know just how she feels, and she does - without much reserve and with much sass.
Discipline and patient affection will be topics on the forefront of our minds for the next, 17 years (because we parents stop thinking about those things as soon as they move out, right?). She is proving to be a first child in every way - a total experiment. Two things I am sure of... 1. Josh is an excellent lab partner, and 2. I like my life. ;-)


1 comment:
She definitely looks like a little girl now--no more baby face!
Post a Comment