Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Wrestling With Discontent

Being a mother is an amazing thing. Not just a responsibility, or a blessing, or a gift. The cliches hold true, but I don't think they do it justice. Probably because I spend so much time complaining about the burdens and my inadequacies... But I think I've finally reached a point where I am tired of hearing myself complain. I mean, really tired of it. It's not getting me anywhere (the complaining), and I'm pretty sure it's dragging everyone else down, too. So I've set out on a journey of discovery, in an attempt to make my home a happier place for everyone.

Three responsibilities that I am choosing to find more joy in: housekeeping (tidying up, laundry, organization), cooking (don't we all love a yummy dish?), and teaching. The third one on the list being the thing that probably gives me most pause. Every day I am faced with "teaching moments" and opportunities for learning. The girls are both sponges. Noa absorbs anything that I throw her way, and it's this fact that has weighed heaviest on my heart lately. My negative attitudes or procrastination (just a minute... just a minute... just a minute... I'm sure that gets old), my snap remarks or bad habits. They are all merely objective behaviors to my sweet one. A relative blank slate with her own unique chalk, Noa is ready with bated breath to learn! But when I take a breath, slow down, and pause long enough to admire her persistence, strength of will, strength of mind, strength of voice (ha), creativity, imagination, curiosity (it doesn't take pause to notice that one), and willingness to be a part of something (anything!) - I must admit that I tingle with excitement (and trepidation) over the power that I posses. We have big dreams for these kids, mostly to see them grow up joyful and hopeful for an adventurous life and a peaceful eternity. It starts now, though. With purposeful time and intentional distractions. I don't want to waste any more moments to pity and uselessness. We are each learning as we go, and my kids cannot wait for me to figure it all out before they go on with their playtime. Even in the chaotic moments, there is something wonderful to be learned. Now, who wants to help me figure out what that is?... Ha. ;-)

At a Farmer's Market. She's such a good little mama.


Trying to get better at crafts. (*I* am, that is) She loves anything messy and colorful.


Josh is a wonderful supervisor. Noa gets much more time in the kitchen when Daddy is on duty.


The King cousins (Tanner and Gage (holding Bryn) came to visit us. We miss you guys!!


I don't know if nursing is ever an easy thing from the start. I still get nervous when it has to happen in public (I try hard to plan around it, but sometimes it just doesn't work). I asked Josh to snap a shot so I could see what others might see. I was surprised that I didn't look nearly as naked as I felt. :)


My heart, divided in two... And surprisingly content!


Noa has partnered with me in efforts to teach Bryn how to crawl. "Puuuush up!"


Lessons on doll-playing.

So, Bryn is nearly three months old. Time is flying! And I hear crying from the other room now, so I must go. What is it that Louis Armstrong said...

"I hear babies cry, I watch them grow. They'll learn much more than I'll every know. And I think to myself... what a wonderful world"

Indeed.

5 comments:

NancyPhillips said...

Wow! Those little girls are so blessed to have you as their mom. Too many moms really don't take the time to actually realize what an awesome responsibility motherhood is. They are too busy with their own little world, and do just what you say...."wait a minute, shush, be still". I, for one, am so grateful that you are mom to my grandbabies. Thank you for being wonderful.

George Hughes said...

Woo, I love you!
Nancy's dad Tom had a way to describe a person who he thought exhibited qualities of leadership, compassion, love for his/her family, and good character. He would simply say he is a "good" man(or woman).
You are a "good" mom and Josh is a "good" Dad. Your reward will be the everlasting love that is returned to you by Noa and Bryn. ALL THE REST OF US GET TO BENEFIT FROM THE JOY OF YOUR AND JOSH'S LOVE...

Mandi said...

Wow!!! It's encouragement like that which turns a good day into a fantastic one!

Thank you, both, for being such hard-working, loving, and selfless parents. You've set amazing standards. Thank you.

heather said...

Love this post. Lovely.

Whittney said...

Loved your honest words. I agree with your peeps! Noa and Bryn are blessed to have you as their mama.