Noa's second year of preschool started off on an easy note. Her new class is meeting in her former classroom, and one of her (two) teachers is teaching her again! She has 10 classmates, two of whom she knows from last year, and a couple of sweet kids who seemed to be just as excited (aka "touchy-feely") to meet her as she was to meet them. This class meets three days a week for three hours a day. My first parent-helper day is still another week away, so there will be more classroom photos to come. Bryn also seems to be enjoying school - she is in the "wave 'hi' to everyone we pass by" phase and wants to badly to squirm out of my arms and go play with the big kids when we drop her sister off. I have found a little corner of the main hallway that is safe for her to play and roam, so I let her own that little space for a few minutes each day.
We are also the chicken-care family for the month! Don't laugh. I feel like I'm getting a handle on the hens more quickly than I'd hoped. They don't squawk and run when I come into the coop anymore, and they don't seem to begrudge me for taking their eggs home. These four hens are new to the school (the two former hens were alumni for many years and ready to retire) and still getting used to the playground, I think. We have an active garden adjacent to the coop, and the old hens used to trot right over when they were let out to exercise. These new girls (yet to be named) seem to "scatter" more than trot, and not straight to the garden either. They run to the nearest bushes or up the hill like they've tasted freedom for the first time. Josh was with me the first time we cleaned their coop and let them out, and thank goodness. It took us much longer than I'd anticipated to get them BACK to the coop. I was told that they can be herded, like little obedient cows, right back to the food source... Well perhaps they don't like the food source I put in their feeder. And I learned they don't like to be picked up, either, nor cornered, nor chased and screamed at by 4-yr olds. Check, check, check.
Noa's class visited the garden to pick ripe goodies. She found a radish!
She's briefing the Alpha hen when we arrive to feed them. "We're here to help you, chickens! Don't be scared. And don't chase me."

2 comments:
I love this! The chicken care family would be AWESOME. I would love to read about her school if you'll PM me the name. Sounds so wonderful for a little one.
Awe, sounds like so much fun! Kelly can help you with some chicken tips...hers would run away in their free time from the coop and often had to be retrieved by the boys in the neighborhood :). I love Noa's face with her radish, too cute!
Post a Comment